Re: Comments on bind-08

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 18:16:54 +0100
To: ejw@cs.ucsc.edu
CC: "'WebDAV (WebDAV WG)'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Jim Whitehead wrote:
> I think there should be examples of If header use in the BIND specification,
> and also in RFC 2518bis. Though quite related, this repetition is
> worthwhile. It is worthwhile in 2518bis because of the observed problems
> with client implementations of the If header. Interoperability errors are
> expensive to identify and fix, and tend to have negative impacts on users
> before they are fixed. Examples often help reduce interoperability errors,
> and are less costly to produce than it is to identify and fix an
> interoperability problem.
>
> The bind specification introduces some new wrinkles for If header passing
> and processing, especially the existence of loopback bindings. Additionally,
> a diligent, careful specification reader could still find it useful to have
> an example that confirms their understanding of how to apply the If header
> processing described in RFC 2518 to collections using bindings. For these
> two reasons it also makes sense to have an example of If header passing in
> the bind specification.

As I said before, I'm not completely opposed to add examples; it's just
that we should make sure we don't get carried away (because it's
RFC2518bis, or, may I say, a separate locking spec's ([1]) role to add
these).

So, could you please specify exactly which situation you'd like the
example to be for? My understanding was:

- Method: REBIND
- Locks on: source and target collection

Correct?

Julian

[1]
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-locking-latest.html>