RE: Comments on bind-08

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cs.ucsc.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:04:00 -0800
To: "'WebDAV \(WebDAV WG\)'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

> OK. Any proposed text/artwork for inclusion into the spec?
> (I'll work on the other issues in the meantime :-).

How about:

As an example of how COPY with Depth infinity would work in the presence of
bindings, consider the following collection:

+------------------+
| Root Collection  |
|  bindings:       |
|  CollX           |
+------------------+

+-------------------------------+
| Collection C1                 |<-------+
| bindings:                     |        |
| x.gif      CollY              |        |
+-------------------------------+        |
    |          \                         |
    |           \         (creates loop) |
    |            \                       |
+-------------+   +------------------+   |
| Resource R1 |   | Collection C2    |   |
+-------------+   | bindings:        |   |
                  | y.gif     CollZ  |   |
                  +------------------+   |
                      |         |        |
                      |         +--------+

                  +-------------+
                  | Resource R2 |
                  +-------------+

If a COPY with Depth inifinity is submitted to /CollX, with destination of
/CollA, the outcome of the copy operation is:

                                +-------------------------+
                                | Root Collection         |
                                |  bindings:              |
                                |  CollX          CollA   |
                                +-------------------------+
                                    /               \
                                   /                 \
                                  /                   \
                                 /                     \
+-------------------------------+
+-------------------------------+
| Collection C1                 |<-------+         | Collection C3
|<-------+
| bindings:                     |        |         | bindings:
|        |
| x.gif      CollY              |        |         | x.gif      CollY
|        |
+-------------------------------+        |
+-------------------------------+        |
    |          \                         |             |          \
|
    |           \         (creates loop) |             |           \
(creates loop) |
    |            \                       |             |            \

+-------------+   +------------------+   |         +-------------+
+------------------+   |
| Resource R1 |   | Collection C2    |   |         | Resource R3 |   |
Collection C4    |   |
+-------------+   | bindings:        |   |         +-------------+   |
bindings:        |   |
                  | y.gif     CollZ  |   |                           | y.gif
CollZ  |   |
                  +------------------+   |
+------------------+   |
                      |         |        |                               |
|        |
                      |         +--------+                               |
                  | Resource R2 |                                    |
Resource R4 |

Unfortunately, this figure goes over the RFC column limit, so it'll need
some tweaking before its in final form.

- Jim