Re: Quota: another DAV:quota-assigned-bytes question

After reading all of these arguments, my input is "It's too bad the
term "quota" was chosen in the first place."

The Mac OS X WebDAV file system does not support Unix-like file system
quotas.

The Mac OS X WebDAV file system uses the old quota properties* to fill
in the f_blocks (total data blocks in filesystem) and f_bfree (free
blocks in filesystem) fields returned by statfs(2).  In the Mac OS X
user interface, those fields become the Capacity, Available, and Used
numbers displayed in volume information dialogs (as in "Capacity:
100MB" "Available: 49.2 MB" "Used: 50.8 MB on disk").

On Apple's .Mac iDisk WebDAV server, if a client PUT request would
cause a user's purchased space to be exceeded, the server returns 507
Insufficient Storage and the WebDAV file system translates that to
ENOSPC "No space left on device" (not to EDQUOT "Disc quota exceeded").

For our purposes, the quota properties are considered live properties
which cannot be changed by the file system client.

So, we're using the old quota properties in a way that compatible with
a common industry model... it just isn't the model many on this list
are associating with the term "quota".

- Jim

* DAV: quota and DAV: quotaused as mentioned at
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2002OctDec/
0209.html>