Re: Quota: another DAV:quota-assigned-bytes question

Jim Luther wrote:

> After reading all of these arguments, my input is "It's too bad the
> term "quota" was chosen in the first place."
>
> The Mac OS X WebDAV file system does not support Unix-like file system
> quotas.
>
> The Mac OS X WebDAV file system uses the old quota properties* to fill
> in the f_blocks (total data blocks in filesystem) and f_bfree (free
> blocks in filesystem) fields returned by statfs(2).  In the Mac OS X
> user interface, those fields become the Capacity, Available, and Used
> numbers displayed in volume information dialogs (as in "Capacity:
> 100MB" "Available: 49.2 MB" "Used: 50.8 MB on disk").
>
> On Apple's .Mac iDisk WebDAV server, if a client PUT request would
> cause a user's purchased space to be exceeded, the server returns 507
> Insufficient Storage and the WebDAV file system translates that to
> ENOSPC "No space left on device" (not to EDQUOT "Disc quota exceeded").
>
> For our purposes, the quota properties are considered live properties
> which cannot be changed by the file system client.
>
> So, we're using the old quota properties in a way that compatible with
> a common industry model... it just isn't the model many on this list
> are associating with the term "quota".
>
> - Jim

Jim,

thanks for the information.

I think the best (if not only way) to make progress is to focus what
parts actually *need* to be standardized.

As far as I can tell, people want their clients to display a
available/free/used-by-this item indicator in their client. They may or
may not care whether this is due to disk limits or quota. They also
expect usable error messages.

I do *not* see anybody asking for

- authorable quota settings (there's only one server implementing that
right now) and
- there is certainly no demand whatsoever to restrict this to one
specific system of computing quota.

So let's please focus on what aspects need to be standardized for
interoperability, and which don't. Remove those that don't, and I'm sure
we can make quick progress.

Best regards, Julian