Re: WindowsXP and double login challenges

From: Frank Lowney <frank.lowney@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 11:07:59 -0400
To: w3c-dist-auth@frink.w3.org

It's great to see that the WebDAV protocol is relentlessly advancing but, as someone who is trying to get end users to embrace it over older, more established methods, I have to wonder whether the basic aspects of the protocol work well enough to assure a level of acceptance sufficient to sustain the momentum.

Take, for example, the query I posted here a week or so ago (quoted below).  While it's difficult to definitively interpret a non-response, they tend to be interpreted as: yes, that's a problem but there is no solution or workaround.

So, if that is the case with Win2K / WinXP Network Places access to a wide range of WebDAV-enabled servers where end users first and continuing experience with WebDAV is a double login challenge, we should not be surprised to learn that these end users are reluctant to consider change.

>We are currently working with three WebDAV-enabled servers as follows:
>
>WebSTAR V v.5.3.2 on MacOS X 10.3.4
>
>Apache on MacOS X Server 10.3.4
>
>BEA Weblogic (supporting WebCT Vista) on Solaris.
>
>Using WindowsXP & 'My Network Places,' we and our various clients and other constituencies are consistently seeing a "double login challenge" in all three cases. We don't see this issue on Win2K Pro or MacOS X.
>
>First, can anyone confirm that this is a "Microsoft not following standards again" issue?
>
>Second, can anyone suggest a work around that will unburden WinXP WebDAV users from the necessity of meeting this challenge twice?
>
>Thanks for any light shed on this issue.

Dr. Frank Lowney  frank.lowney@gcsu.edu
    Director, Electronic Instructional Services, a unit of the
    Office of Information and Instructional Technology,
    Professional Pages: http://www.gcsu.edu/oiit/eis/
    Personal Pages: http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~flowney
Voice: (478) 445-5260
NOTICE: Please be advised that I am hearing impaired and communicate most effectively via e-mail.  Follow-up summaries of telephone conversations by e-mail are most appreciated.
We don't make instruction effective, we make effective instruction more accessible.