WindowsXP and double login challenges

From: Frank Lowney <frank.lowney@gcsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 09:08:26 -0400
To: w3c-dist-auth@frink.w3.org

We are currently working with three WebDAV-enabled servers as follows:

WebSTAR V v.5.3.2 on MacOS X 10.3.4

Apache on MacOS X Server 10.3.4

BEA Weblogic (supporting WebCT Vista) on Solaris.

Using WindowsXP & 'My Network Places,' we and our various clients and other constituencies are consistently seeing a "double login challenge" in all three cases. We don't see this issue on Win2K Pro or MacOS X.

First, can anyone confirm that this is a "Microsoft not following standards again" issue?

Second, can anyone suggest a work around that will unburden WinXP WebDAV users from the necessity of meeting this challenge twice?

Thanks for any light shed on this issue.
Dr. Frank Lowney  frank.lowney@gcsu.edu
    Director, Electronic Instructional Services, a unit of the
    Office of Information and Instructional Technology,
    Professional Pages: http://www.gcsu.edu/oiit/eis/
    Personal Pages: http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~flowney
Voice: (478) 445-5260
NOTICE: Please be advised that I am hearing impaired and communicate most effectively via e-mail.  Follow-up summaries of telephone conversations by e-mail are most appreciated.
We don't make instruction effective, we make effective instruction more accessible.