From: "Frank Lowney" <frank.lowney@mac.com>
To: <w3c-dist-auth@frink.w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 8:07 AM
Subject: Re: WindowsXP and double login challenges

> It's great to see that the WebDAV protocol is relentlessly advancing but,
as someone who is trying to get end users to embrace it over older, more
established methods, I have to wonder whether the basic aspects of the
protocol work well enough to assure a level of acceptance sufficient to
sustain the momentum.

> Take, for example, the query I posted here a week or so ago (quoted
below).  While it's difficult to definitively interpret a non-response, they
tend to be interpreted as: yes, that's a problem but there is no solution or
workaround.

> So, if that is the case with Win2K / WinXP Network Places access to a wide
range of WebDAV-enabled servers where end users first and continuing
experience with WebDAV is a double login challenge, we should not be
surprised to learn that these end users are reluctant to consider change.

> >We are currently working with three WebDAV-enabled servers as follows:
> >
> >WebSTAR V v.5.3.2 on MacOS X 10.3.4
> >
> >Apache on MacOS X Server 10.3.4
> >
> >BEA Weblogic (supporting WebCT Vista) on Solaris.
> >
> >Using WindowsXP & 'My Network Places,' we and our various clients and
other constituencies are consistently seeing a "double login challenge" in
all three cases. We don't see this issue on Win2K Pro or MacOS X.

> >First, can anyone confirm that this is a "Microsoft not following
standards again" issue?

> >Second, can anyone suggest a work around that will unburden WinXP WebDAV
users from the necessity of meeting this challenge twice?

> >Thanks for any light shed on this issue.
>

> --
> Dr. Frank Lowney  frank.lowney@gcsu.edu
>     Director, Electronic Instructional Services, a unit of the
>     Office of Information and Instructional Technology,
>     Professional Pages: http://www.gcsu.edu/oiit/eis/
>     Personal Pages: http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~flowney
> Voice: (478) 445-5260
> NOTICE: Please be advised that I am hearing impaired and communicate most
effectively via e-mail.  Follow-up summaries of telephone conversations by
e-mail are most appreciated.