Re: redirect references protocol: automatic update

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 00:43:30 +0100
To: Geoffrey M Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@us.ibm.com>
Cc: webdav <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Geoffrey M Clemm wrote:
> I don't see why we couldn't require this (redirects created by some other
> mechanism don't have to act the same way as redirects created by
> MKREDIRECTREF.
>
> So we could/should say that the value of a redirectref changes only when
> it is explicitly updated by a PROPPATCH of the DAV:reftarget property,
> and not as a side-effect of some other operation such as MOVE.

That's exactly what I *don't* want to say, because in reality there are
servers that have a concept of redirect reference resources, *although*
they auto-update their target. This is completely consistent with
RFC2616, and I don't see why the redirect spec can or should *forbid*
that. I do agree that this behaviour may be confusing, and that it makes
sense to discourage it, but we can't change what's already there...

Julian