Re: Issue #44: REPORT_OTHER_RESOURCE_LOCKED

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:11:09 +0200
To: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Cc: Webdav WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> I'm mostly happy with this, although as with much of the specs where
> preconditions are defined, it doesn't say in which cases the server MUST
> (or SHOULD or MAY) return this precondition.  For backward
> compatibility, I suggest that servers SHOULD or MAY return this
> precondition in the body of a 423 Locked response.  Other commenters?
> Will servers actually implement this?

<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-locking-latest.html#method.preconditions.and.postconditions>
makes this a "MUST" level requirement. Realistically, we may want to
make that a SHOULD, because it may be hard for some servers to implement
that (on the other hand we *do* want them to implement the more
important changes such as DAV:lockroot). And after all, no big harm is
done when it's not returned.

Feedback appreciated.

Julian