Re: Move and Delete (was: bind draft issues)

On Saturday, March 1, 2003, at 06:27  AM, Clemm, Geoff wrote:

>    From: Brian Korver [mailto:briank@xythos.com]
>
>    Move and Delete
>
>    The spec states that move and delete are merely operations
>    on bindings.  At the very least, this is inconsistent with
>    2518,
>
> How is this inconsistent with 2518 (other than the use of
> terminology not defined in 2518)?

2418 correctly states that MOVE (and COPY) also may involve
a DELETE with "Depth: infinity" operation in the case of
overwrite.

DELETE also operates on more than bindings.  Consider,
for instance, what happens to locks.

>    but I also think that the draft doesn't adequately
>    address any of the issues that come up when the server
>    goes to "reclaim system resources."  I would expect most
>    servers to reclaim said resources during move and delete.
>
> The protocol explicitly leaves those decisions up to the
> server implementation, since different servers have made
> (and need to make) different choices wrt how system resources
> are reclaimed.  For example, a versioning server will
> probably reclaim very few resources, since most of the
> resources are being maintained as history.

My reading of the document is different, so the language
should be cleaned up so that it doesn't sound like it is
prohibiting the semantics spelled out in 2518.  Would it
help if I provided that text?

-brian
briank@xythos.com