Re: Operations not Atomic (was: bind draft issues)

On Saturday, March 1, 2003, at 06:27  AM, Clemm, Geoff wrote:

>    From: Brian Korver [mailto:briank@xythos.com]
>
>    Operations not Atomic
>
>    None of the operations specified should be required
>    to be atomic.  I'd prefer SHOULD NOT myself.  This is
>    especially true for any operation that involves deleting
>    collections.
>
> Atomic operations are one of the primary purposes of the
> binding protocol.  A server that cannot maintain atomic
> MOVE/DELETE/BIND operations is not capable of supporting
> the bind protocol.

Geoff,

I disagree strongly.  Nothing should be stated to prohibit
atomic operations, but the spec should leave this decision
up to implementors.  There can be perfectly valid reasons
why a server vendor might want to provide normal filesystem
semantics to users.

-brian
briank@xythos.com