RE: PROPFIND returning *more* than expected, and other questions

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 16:51:16 -0800
To: <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

> > Second question, can a server respond to a PROPFIND for a particular
> > property with multiple values for that property?
>
> No. A property has exactly one value.
>
> > Thirdly, if a property has a rich XML structure as it's value, we'd like
> > to return any matching XML tag in that structure.  (So if the
> > <foo:authors> tag contained <foo:author>Chris</foo:author>
> > <foo:author>David</foo:author> it would return all the <foo:authors> and
> > each of the <foo:author> values separately.)
>
> I don't understand what this is good for. It's certainly not-compliant
> behaviour.

While a WebDAV property's "value" is marshalled as a sequence of well-formed
XML. If a property contains a list of authors, it would be OK to marshall
this as

<foo:authors>
 <foo:author>Chris</foo:author>
 <foo:author>Julian</foo:author>
</foo:authors>

In this way WebDAV handles "multi-valued" properties.

- Jim