RE: Issues: MKCOL_AND_302, IMPLIED_LWS, PUT_AND_INTERMEDIATE_COLLECTIONS, INTEROP_DELETE_AND_MULTISTATUS

It doesn't say anything specific about MKCOL and redirects. Or am I missing something?

Speaking of which: section 12.1 talks only about 302 and 303 in Multistatus. It should talk about all 3xx codes, in particular 301.

> IMPLIED_LWS: This issue can be marked "inBis" if not CLOSED.
> Draft -03 says that the HTTP rules are imported "including the
> rules about implied linear white-space."

Agreed.

> PUT_AND_INTERMEDIATE_COLLECTIONS: This issue can be marked
> "inBis" if not CLOSED.  Draft -03 says "The server MUST NOT
> create those intermediate collections automatically.”

Agreed.

> INTEROP_DELETE_AND_MULTISTATUS: This is the old issue respecting
> how HTTP clients might be confused by a 207 response to a DELETE
> message, believing it to be a success message
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/1999AprJun/0062
> .html>.  Have we got consensus to continue using 207, on the
> basis that by now it would break far more WebDAV clients to
> *stop* using 207?
>
> - Julian says continue using 207 but has also proposed switching to a 4XX
>   <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2003JanMar/0049.html>
>   <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2003JanMar/0065.html>
> - Roy argues it violates RFC2616
>
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2003JanMar/0046.html>
> - My vote is to continue using 207
>   <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2003JanMar/0044.html>
> - The interim meeting attendees in Jan 2003 were unanimous in
> continuing with 207
>   <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2003JanMar/0044.html>
> - John DeSoi points out that Netscape uses DELETE and 2XX should
> not be redefined
>   <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2003JanMar/0057.html>
> - Bob Denny says let's not violate RFC2616
>   <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2003JanMar/0048.html>
> - Geoff Clemm might want to clarify his position
>   <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2003JanMar/0065.html>
>
> I don't think we have consensus yet overall.  Please discuss,
> clarify, or even simply restate your position.

I think Roy has made a very good point about clients that do DELETE and are not aware of 207 being a valid (error) code for DELETE. Thus my proposal is not to use 207 when the operation did not entirely succeed, but instead use a 4xx code (keeping the multistatus response body). I think at this point there are only few clients which will actually properly process a 207 on DELETE, and those can probably easily upgraded.