Re: [dav-dev] Problem with OfficeXP and Accented characters

From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:52:40 -0800
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Peter Gillis <Pgillis@intraspect.com>, dav-dev@lyra.org, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org, I20568n@mindshare.intraspect.com

Nope.

The filename is in an "original character set". That is then encoded into
octets for the URL. That transformation is not specified anywhere. Ideally,
it is "original -> UTF-8", but nobody says it must be. In fact, I would say
it should match whatever encoding was used for the Request-URI (but that is
not specified/defined in the request, so you're out of luck again).

Once you have octets, then you perform the URL-escaping (using '%xx').

After that, you need to transform the URL into the character set of the
response body. That is usually UTF-8, but it is possible to have the XML in
a different character set (provided it is specified on the Content-Type
response header).

Finally, you must XML-escape the UTF-8 characters of the URL you're
inserting (e.g. translate '&' to '&amp;') so that you can embed the UTF-8
content into the XML response.

A long time ago, I captured this as a start of a technical FAQ. See:
    http://www.webdav.org/other/techfaq.html

Specifically, the second section.

Cheers,
-g