RE: Searching folders with WebDAV

From: Joachim Feise <jfeise@ics.uci.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:01:38 -0800 (PST)
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> > > 2) I am trying to create a contact folder (in Exchange)using
> > > MKCOL and I am
> > > receiving the Status Code 403 (Forbidden).  Is this just an issue with
> > > permissions or am I using the wrong method to create a folder?
> > > The code is
> > > below:
> >
> > You can't use MKCOL with a request body. Try again without.
> >
> Actually, I believe some Microsoft servers do support MKCOL with a body.
> However, this is a non-standard extension of MKCOL, not described in RFC2518
> or any other document submitted to the working group or the IETF as far as I
> know.  Thus I suspect this working group can't be of much assistance in this
> matter.

Hmm, to quote section 8.3.1 of http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2518.txt:
"A MKCOL request message may contain a message body.  The behavior of
a MKCOL request when the body is present is limited to creating
collections, members of a collection, bodies of members and
properties on the collections or members.  If the server receives a
MKCOL request entity type it does not support or understand it MUST
respond with a 415 (Unsupported Media Type) status code.  The exact
behavior of MKCOL for various request media types is undefined in
this document, and will be specified in separate documents."