Re: Collections and Request-URIs

From: Dan Brotsky <dbrotsky@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:06:08 -0700
Cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org
To: "Clemm, Geoff" <gclemm@rational.com>

On Tuesday, June 18, 2002, at 04:49 AM, Clemm, Geoff wrote:
> I agree with Julian (i.e. that trailing slashes are allowed by
> the syntax), but I also have argued vigorously that the RFC-2518
> "guidance" is incorrect, and the next revision of RFC-2518 should
> simply state "a URI with a trailing slash SHOULD identify the
> same resource as the URI with the trailing slash removed".

But do you also want this to be the case for non-collection resources?
Perhaps you mean "if a URI that ends in a trailing slash identifies a
DAV-compliant collection resource, then the same URI with the trailing
slash removed SHOULD identify the same resource."  I would actually go
for MUST in that case, although such a change would break some existing
servers.

     dan