Re: Collections and Request-URIs

Thanks for the clarification, Julian.

On Tuesday, June 18, 2002, at 04:49 AM, Clemm, Geoff wrote:

> I agree with Julian (i.e. that trailing slashes are allowed by
> the syntax), but I also have argued vigorously that the RFC-2518
> "guidance" is incorrect, and the next revision of RFC-2518 should
> simply state "a URI with a trailing slash SHOULD identify the
> same resource as the URI with the trailing slash removed".
>
> Cheers,
> Geoff

I'd argue that it must state "a URI with a trailing slash MUST identify
the same resource as the URI with the trailing slash removed". Using
SHOULD would leave it up to the server to do whatever, and would make
the rules for a PROFIND Request-Line different than the rules in RFC
2616 for Request-Line. (In general, I dislike seeing SHOULD and MAY in
specifications when the subject of particular rule isn't optional.)

- Jim