Re: Qualities of URLs and resources

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:36:55 -0800
To: ccjason@us.ibm.com
cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
>Roy, quick question.   What do you mean by "a binding is a resource"?
>That bindings and resources are one to one?   If so, when we say that
>two bindings point to the same "thing", what is the word you'd like to
>use for "thing".

A binding is an internal redirect from one resource to another.
The binding is a resource, and what it points to is a resource,
but they are not necessarily the same resource just because
the bindings exist.  The binding is simply a method for
establishing a temporary shared mapping mechanism for two or
more URI.  The client does not identify the mapping mechanism;
rather, it describes the relationship between the three resources
(source, destination, and source collection) such that the server
can figure out on its own how to align the mapping mechanism
in a mechanism-dependent manner.

....Roy