Re: Ordered Collections and PROPFIND Responses

From: Max Rible <max@glyphica.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 11:57:54 -0800
To: "'WebDAV'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
At 10:26 11/30/99 -0500, Slein, Judith A wrote:
>The advanced collections design team has been debating whether to require
>the ordering semantics (DAV:orderingtype property) to be returned with every
>PROPFIND response for an ordered collection.  The spec currently says that
>the server SHOULD return this property, whether or not the client explicitly
>requested it.
>
>It's likely that we'll either change this language to "MUST" or get rid of
>it altogether.
>
>On the one hand, it is a good thing for the client to be made aware that the
>PROPFIND response is ordered, so that the client can decide whether to
>override that ordering with its own.
>
>On the other hand, it seems like a bad idea to return random information
>that we think might (or should) be interesting to the client.

I don't think ordering is random information.  It's only a few handfuls
of bytes to provide information that should be useful to an overwhelming
number of clients (since I think WebDAV is going to see primary use as
a network filesystem for quite some time to come).  I agree with
"MUST".

--
%% Max Rible %% max@glyphica.com %% http://www.amurgsval.org/~slothman/ %%
%% "Before enlightenment:  sharpen claws, catch mice.                   %%