Ordered Collections and PROPFIND Responses

From: Slein, Judith A <JSlein@crt.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:26:02 -0500
To: "'WebDAV'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
The advanced collections design team has been debating whether to require
the ordering semantics (DAV:orderingtype property) to be returned with every
PROPFIND response for an ordered collection.  The spec currently says that
the server SHOULD return this property, whether or not the client explicitly
requested it.

It's likely that we'll either change this language to "MUST" or get rid of
it altogether.

On the one hand, it is a good thing for the client to be made aware that the
PROPFIND response is ordered, so that the client can decide whether to
override that ordering with its own.

On the other hand, it seems like a bad idea to return random information
that we think might (or should) be interesting to the client.

Any opinions?

--Judy

Judith A. Slein
Xerox Corporation