Write Locks on Collections

From: Kevin Wiggen <wiggs@xythos.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:35:03 -0800
To: jrd3@alum.mit.edu, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Jim Davis and I are having a discussion on what the appropriate behavior of
a write lock on a collection should be.

Re 7.5

A write lock on a collection, whether created by a "Depth: 0" or "Depth:
infinity" lock request, prevents the addition or removal of member URIs of
the collection by non-lock owners.

If a lock owner causes the URI of a resource to be added as an internal
member URI of a locked collection then the new resource MUST be
automatically added to the lock.

What does this mean when a collection is locked via a Depth 0 lock:

1)  When a new resource is added to the collection, the resource is added
without a lock as the parent has only a Depth 0 lock.

2)  When a new resource is added to the collection, the resource is added
and inherits the lock from above (via the second paragraph above)

I will keep my ideas off this post (as this will just be the question), but
will send a follow up with my ideas.

Thanks,

Kevin