RE: Write Locks on Collections

From: Kevin Wiggen <wiggs@wiggenout.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:20:30 -0800
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
  Xythos will currently only add a resource to a collection lock if its
depth is infinity.  Depth 0 locks will always only be on one resource.

  Kevin

  Jim Davis and I are having a discussion on what the appropriate behavior
of a write lock on a collection should be.

  Re 7.5

  A write lock on a collection, whether created by a "Depth: 0" or "Depth:
infinity" lock request, prevents the addition or removal of member URIs of
the collection by non-lock owners.

  If a lock owner causes the URI of a resource to be added as an internal
member URI of a locked collection then the new resource MUST be
automatically added to the lock.

  What does this mean when a collection is locked via a Depth 0 lock:

  1)  When a new resource is added to the collection, the resource is added
without a lock as the parent has only a Depth 0 lock.

  2)  When a new resource is added to the collection, the resource is added
and inherits the lock from above (via the second paragraph above)

  I will keep my ideas off this post (as this will just be the question),
but will send a follow up with my ideas.

  Thanks,

  Kevin