Re: One lock per resource per person?

From: Geoffrey M. Clemm <gclemm@tantalum.atria.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 22:57:27 -0400
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

   From: "Chris Kaler (Exchange)" <ckaler@Exchange.Microsoft.com>

   <ck/> Using SCC systems today, I can
	 create multiple shared locks against the same resource.  In
	 general you can do this by "checking it out" multiple times, but
	 the basic notion is that I may be engaged in parallel activities
	 at my client even though I am the same principal.

It's very important to distinguish "multiple checkouts" from "shared
locks".  Multiple checkouts are safe and do not suffer from any lost
update problem.  Shared write locks are not safe, and you are
susceptible to getting your update's trashed by anyone else that
shares that lock.

Cheers,
Geoff