RE: One lock per resource per person?

From: Chris Kaler (Exchange) <ckaler@Exchange.Microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 11:51:01 -0700
To: "'jamsden@us.ibm.com'" <jamsden@us.ibm.com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

-----Original Message-----
From: jamsden@us.ibm.com [mailto:jamsden@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, October 15, 1999 12:32 PM
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Subject: Re: One lock per resource per person?

<ja>
A principal can only have one lock on a resource. If the lock is exclusive,
then
there can only be one. If the lock is shared, then getting another shared
lock
would not give owning principal any further capability. I don't have the
spec if
front of me, but I believe this is spelled out.
</ja>

<ck/> I think this is too restrictive.  Using SCC systems today, I can
      create multiple shared locks against the same resource.  In
      general you can do this by "checking it out" multiple times, but
      the basic notion is that I may be engaged in parallel activities
      at my client even though I am the same principal.