Re: [long] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-webdav-versioning-01.txt

From: Geoffrey M. Clemm <gclemm@tantalum.atria.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 22:27:55 -0500
To: masinter@parc.xerox.com
Cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
   From: "Larry Masinter" <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
   b) receiving URIs inside content or protocols, and subsequently
     attempting to contact the resources identified
   My personal view is that URIs should be completely opaque to
   components that are engaged in (b), with two exceptions
    1) the (completely syntactic) "relative URI" computation
    2) the (completely syntactic) construction of new URIs
       based on query or form submission, by adding "?" and
       either query or form data.

   WebDAV has expanded this, by allowing (requiring?) WebDAV clients
   to interpret the syntax of hierarchical URIs as corresponding
   to the WebDAV containment model. ...

   Requiring versioning clients to interpret, parse, and
   reconstruct URIs to syntactically link between one
   version of a resource and another would be outside of
   these guidelines.

Larry: Is the following statement true?

If we defined a collection that contains all revisions of a versioned
resource, where a member of that collection is named by its
revision-id, then it would be within these guidelines (i.e. it would
not be URL-munging) for a client to take the collection URL, extend it
with a revision-id, and use the resulting URL to locate the desired
revision.

Cheers,
Geoff