RE: [long] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-webdav-versioning-01.txt

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 15:40:11 PST
To: "Geoffrey M. Clemm" <gclemm@tantalum.atria.com>
Cc: <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
> Larry: Is the following statement true?
>
> If we defined a collection that contains all revisions of a versioned
> resource, where a member of that collection is named by its
> revision-id, then it would be within these guidelines (i.e. it would
> not be URL-munging) for a client to take the collection URL, extend it
> with a revision-id, and use the resulting URL to locate the desired
> revision.

No, I think that doing so would be an extension of the currently
known required URL-munging methods.

The URL-munging you're suggesting has some difficulties. For example,
what is the datatype of a "revision-id". Is it a number? A string?
US-ASCII? Can a "revision-id" be a string in Japanese? What is the
encoding of the munged-URL?

Larry