Re: Source property, SHTML, and SSI

From: <ccjason@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 09:48:30 -0400
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

> >I just want to recheck how Server Side Includes work so that we are
doing
> >them is similar ways...
> >
> >Traditionally, one PUT's a *.shtml file at a specified URL and GET
requests
> >to that URL result in the out put of executing the SSI.
>
> I wouldn't allow that.  If the server is maintaining the source file
> under a different URL than the GET,...

Roy, You say, "IF the server is maintaining the source file under a
differnt URL than GET..."  That's what I said in my proposal, but is
that what we're typically going to be seeing?  I have no idea. It's
just the first WEBDAV'ish way that I thought of for handling it.  Let
me know if your expectations are.  Anyone.

> then a PUT on the latter URL should
> result in an error or redirection to the source URL.

I think I understand what you're saying here.  "latter URL" here means the
one who's GET results in processing of the SSI.

> The server can
> determine that from the URL and content of the PUT.  Otherwise the
> author is likely to be confused about what is being authored.

I don't think I understand what you're saying here.  Determine what?
Determine if it's an old fashion PUT or a WebDAV PUT?  I'd appreciate
it if you restated this.  I don't know what "that" refers to.

> This is also a key issue for deployment, since older tools might be
> mistakenly used to modify and PUT the generated content rather
> than the source content.  It also makes access control easier.
Again.  I'd appreciate it if you said what "It" is... and if not
then obvious, why "[IT] makes access control easier".

J.