RE: Last call: range locking

From: Quentin Clark <quentinc@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 22:51:14 -0800
To: "'Christopher Seiwald'" <seiwald@perforce.com>, "'ejw@ics.uci.edu'" <ejw@ics.uci.edu>, "'w3c-dist-auth@w3.org'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>, Yaron Goland <yarong@MICROSOFT.com>
hello.

By way of introduction, I work as a Program Manager at Microsoft on the
Internet Information Server (IIS).  I am working with Yaron on DAV issues,
as well as other web protocols (among other things).

I too am unaware of source control products that have byte-range level
locking.  However, most OS's that I am aware of do.  Since one of the
practical uses of the DAV methods will be to extend local file systems to
web servers, it appears to be very appropriate.

As far as the cache invalidating argument goes, while certainly it seems to
make sense, I don't think resources that are going to be partially locked
are going to be necessarily fully read.  As an example, imagine a web
application that maintains a database of information which is implemented
as a single file for performance reasons.  Modifying this over HTTP could
be implemented by partial GETs, LOCKs, and PUTs.

I am failing to understand the objection to keeping range-locking in-scope.
I think it should be kept in.

Quentin Clark
Program Manager
Internet Information Server