RE: Last call: range locking

From: Christopher Seiwald <seiwald@perforce.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 21:17:58 -0800
To: ejw@ics.uci.edu, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org, yarong@microsoft.com
| Given that our goal is to provide for a distributed authoring and
| versioning system that will be implemented (I mean it isn't like this is
| our Phd. or something ;) and given that range locks are such a
| fundamental feature that every major operating system, document creation
| system, and database system provides them in one form or another, it
| would seem that range locks are absolutely in scope.

But few (no?) existing version control systems provide range locking.
So you'd be breaking new ground -- not necessarily the best thing for
a standards body.

Christopher
----
Christopher Seiwald     Perforce Software          1-510-865-8720
seiwald@perforce.com     f-f-f-fast SCM   http://www.perforce.com