Re: LINK support

From: Gregory J. Woodhouse <gjw@wnetc.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 07:16:08 -0800 (PST)
To: "Ralph R. Swick" <swick@www10.w3.org>
cc: w3c-dist-auth@www10.w3.org
On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, Ralph R. Swick wrote:

> Do you mean you'd like to know what other resources (documents) on the
> Web contain LINKs with a destination equal to the specified URI?  If so,
> what do you suggest as the scope of the search?  Just the same server?
> A specified list of servers?  All servers on the Web?
>
> If you mean that you'd like to retrieve the LINKs *stored with* the
> specified URI (and therefore whose destinations are other resources)
> this is much better defined, and within the scope of WEBDAV.

This is fine. I had in mind a request that would return the object itself
if it was on the same server, and a URI otherwise. Returning just the URI
in all cases may be a better design. I'll have to think about it.

> I'd resist the temptation to turn WEBDAV into a general distributed
> database protocol :-)

Good point. I didn't express myself very well.

> -Ralph

---
gjw@wnetc.com    /    http://www.wnetc.com/home.html
If you're going to reinvent the wheel, at least try to come
to come up with a better one.