Re: Attributes in Prelim DAV Spec

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 23:55:11 PST
To: ben@algroup.co.uk
CC: kt@nttlabs.com, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
# The possibility that the retrieval method might change is worrying, though.

Should the Link attribute probably should expire at the same time that
the data expires?

One of the differences between the web and traditional file systems is
that the web is willing to deliver stale data, and clients are
expected to somehow cope. This is an important feature of the web, and
I don't think we can presume that it won't be there while we're doing
DAV.

The general principal is that GETs are optimistic, and PUTs and POSTs
are done with validators. That is, you go ahead and GET and read
whatever you want, but when you go to PUT or POST, you do it with a
guard against the entity tag.

There are no transactions, so all atomic operations must be
accomplished with a single POST.

This is pretty reliable, actually, and doesn't require us to muck up
web transaction semantics just to add transactions.

Larry