Re: Attributes in Prelim DAV Spec

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 21:04:23 PST
To: yarong@microsoft.com
CC: kt@nttlabs.com, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
# We need to be able to lock, copy, move, redirect, delete, destroy, etc.
# attributes just as we can do the same with any other resource. Your
# syntax does not allow this.

The metadata for a resource is just another resource. The 'link'
attribute notes the relationship between the URL for the resource and
the URL for the metadata of the same resource. I prefer a dynamically
retrieved 'link' attribute rather than one where the derivation is
made syntactically by the client.

I think it is good to let URL syntax be opaque whenever possible.

However, I don't think that metadata should be treated as a set of
independent resources, except perhaps as a compound object. That is,
normally you can think of 'the metadata for the message' as a single
object. It might be a compound object and let you manipulate 'title'
independently of 'author', but generally they go together in a set,
and the cases where they allow independent manipulation are no
different than those where a system will let you update 'page 12' of a
document independently of 'page 13'.

Larry