Re: RDM spec...

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 13:58:09 PDT
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
In the document management world, interfaces seem to contain three
things that the web doesn't do:

a) uniform search protocol
b) versioning
c) container/relationship model

(cf. http://www.aiim.org/dma/ for the Document Management Alliance
background & spec)

It's interesting that in the web community, these three capabilities
are being addressed independently. That makes sense, since there are
many communities that only need one and not the other. However, they
interact.

search & versioning:
    Do searches always return 'latest version'? How do you manage
    searching across a versioned resource?

search & container:
   If you support a container model (folders & files in them,
   books and chapters, etc.), does a search for a topic return
   "all books that cover the topic" or "all chapters" or
   "all pages", or is there some way to ask for the level of
   detail?

container & versioning:
   If you update a figure on a page in a chapter in a book,
   is the book a new 'version'? Is there a way to reference
   "last week's book", when only a figure got updated?

While I've described these interactions generically, they apply for
document management applications and the web equally.

Sorry I missed the meeting, looking forward to the notes, and the
November meeting.

Larry