Re: Draft WG charter

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 09:03:03 -0400
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Ben Laurie wrote:

>> Here is a proposed draft charter for this working group, which will
>> be discussed at the Cambridge meeting.  Especially if you are
>> not attending, I welcome your feedback.
>
>Pardon me if I've missed something but there seems to be no mention whatsoever
>of security/authentication/permissions in this draft.
>
>BTW, which Cambridge?

Good points.

Security is an item we are going to leave up to other groups to provide for
us.  However, our draft charter should make this clear.

We have been operating under the assumption that MD5 authentication would
be sufficient for our needs -- if something better than MD5 comes along, we
would hope we could use it.  Again, the draft should state this.

Aside from locking, our work is *not* going to address access control or
permissions.  This is a huge issue, and I feel that we would never finish
if we had to produce a consensus access control draft.  This is an
important issue, and one which will hopefully be addressed by *another*
working group.  But, the draft should make mention of this.

- Jim