Re: removing constraints on 'resource' [024-identity]

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 04:47:56 -0700
Cc: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>, "'Roy T. Fielding'" <fielding@gbiv.com>, uri@w3.org
To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
On May 26, 2004, at 4:01 PM, Tim Bray wrote:

> I do *not* support

It has been pointed out that my message was ambiguous.  To rephrase: I
disagree with Dan Connolly's original proposal in
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/2004May/0026.html> to change
the wording away from "has been named or described" - the change
creates a philosophical mountain which pedants can attempt to climb by
discovering something which could in principle be described but isn't a
resource, with such effort having no practical purpose.

However, while I find the existing text tolerable, I find Larry's
proposed revision much more user-friendly and unsurprising. -Tim