Re: removing constraints on 'resource' [024-identity]

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:01:38 -0700
Cc: "'Roy T. Fielding'" <fielding@gbiv.com>, uri@w3.org
To: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
On May 25, 2004, at 1:31 AM, Larry Masinter wrote:

> OLD
>     Resource
>        Anything that has been named or described can be a resource.

> NEW
>    Resource
>        This document doesn't limit the scope of what might be a
>        'resource'; rather, the term 'resource' is used for whatever it
>        is that a Uniform Resource Identifier identifies;

I do *not* support the change away from "has been."  There is too much
room for argument without practical import as to what might or might
not be a resource, but on the other hand if it already has been named
or described, there's not doubt at all that it could be a resource.

BTW, Larry's wording does a much better job of describing how I think
about resources and how I describe them to people than the existing
draft wording.  Not that I think that the current wording is wrong or
that they are inconsistent; I just think Larry's is clearer and
friendlier and less likely to cause people to wrinkle their foreheads
and think "WTF?" -Tim