Re: FW: removing constraints on 'resource' [024-identity]

>Pat,
>
>I don't know if you've seen this thread.

I hadn't, thanks.

>  Dan does invite comment from you
>(and specific others) but appears to have accidently left you off the Cc
>list.
>
>Stuart
>--

It is indeed more straightforward and avoids a sinkhole of debate
about what 'identity' means. However, this particular wording is
still rather odd , in that the 'familiar examples' given are all
suggestive of the more limited notion of 'resource' which would be an
appropriate understanding of the intended meaning by someone who came
to this discussion with a background in network architecture, viz. an
information item which can be accessed or used via a network
protocol. So this clarification does nothing to resolve the
fundamental ambiguity/ambivalence in the overall document which I
referred to in my original comments.

BTW, the diagram cited below (Im looking at the one at
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/diagrams/URI-space.png ) directly
embodies that confusion/ambiguity very clearly. There are two black
arrows at the bottom, one going from 'hypertext' to 'anchor', the
other going from 'semantic Web' to 'anything'. THESE TWO
RELATIONSHIPS ARE  NOT THE SAME KIND OF RELATIONSHIP. The first
refers to identification on a network, and belongs in my "C'
category: the second arrow is denotation, which has nothing to do
with computation and belongs entirely in the D category. The first is
supposed, by its very nature, be computable (given the state of the
network) and requires uniqueness of identification: neither of these
properties hold of the second. The second can refer to anything: the
first, by its very nature, cannot.  The second must be understood
relative to an interpretation: the first cannot be that ambiguous but
must be determined by the state of the Web.  The entire force of my
extended attempt to deconstruct the confusion in the TAG architecture
document can be summarized by the observation that these two
relationships, shown in this diagram by identical (and parallel)
arrows, are FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFERENT.  Calling them both
'identification' is not a good strategy: it is in fact little more
than a pun. Applying criteria which make perfect sense for one to the
other produces nonsense and confusion.

To make the point in another way, note that HTML consists largely of
text, and text  denotes. (Text has been denoting since before
recorded human history, and I don't think that the Web is going to
stop that happening.) So there should be TWO arrows coming from the
left-hand box, one going to 'anchor' and the other, understood as
exactly similar to the arrow on the right, going to 'anything'. One
of those arrows is access, the other is denotation or reference. A
priori, they have nothing whatever to do with one another and can be
assigned values independently. (In case there is an objection along
the lines that what text refers to has got nothing to do with network
architecture: I agree, and that is precisely my point. What the
RDF/OWL text *refers* to has got nothing to do with Web architecture
either. Architecture and semantics are (to a first approximation)
orthogonal matters. By confusing access with denotation, and
referring to them both as 'identification', the Tag document distorts
a two-dimensional reality into a one-dimensional picture.)

>Public discussion of http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/ suggest that this
>unconstrained definition of 'resource', along with a separate term for a
>smaller set of "information resources" is a useful way to describe the role
>of URIs in Web Architecture.

Well, it might be if the document was rewritten carefully paying
attention to this distinction, and not applying advice suitable to
the special case to the more general case. However, the result would
be that almost the entire document would be about 'information
resources'.

>(we haven't finished the text yet, but you can see a diagram at
>   http://www.w3.org/2004/05/URI-space-small.png
>   http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/diagrams/URI-space.svg
>and some notes on the discussion at
>   http://www.w3.org/2004/05/14-tag-summary.html#httpRange-14-1 )
>

>The unconstrained definition of 'resource' is also what was imported into
>the RDF specification:

Well, yes, but only because you told me that was obligatory, and in
my Webbish innocence I believed you :-)

Pat

>   The things denoted are called 'resources', following [RFC 2396], but
>   no assumptions are made here about the nature of resources; 'resource'
>   is treated here as synonymous with 'entity', i.e. as a generic term
>   for anything in the universe of discourse.
>     -- http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/ aka
>	http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-mt-20040210/
>

>I think this captures the input I got from TimBL on the matter; could you
>confirm, TimBL?
>
>Roy's input to the recent discussion was mostly in the role of editor,
>relaying comments on earlier URI spec drafts. From the archives, it seems
>that at Miles Sabin, Pat Hayes, Tim Bray, and Joshua Allen had opinions on
>the matter. If you would care to comment on this proposal, I'd appreciate
>it.
>

>--
>Dan Connolly, W3C http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell