RE: non-IETF tree URI scheme draft

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:36:19 -0800
To: "'McDonald, Ira'" <imcdonald@sharplabs.com>, hardie@qualcomm.com, uri@w3.org

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

> I like your idea as originally floated:
> - IANA assigns an 'orgname' (preferred source being an
>   existing 'vnd.orgname' arc in the MIME registry).

Yes, I like this.

> - First come, first served for 'orgname'.

Not entirely. 'orgname' should be an appropriate name
for the organization. We don't want DNS-like wars
for who owns the sex-xxx: URI scheme prefix. So
IANA gets to reject applications or suggest alternatives
without appeal. I imagined a heuristic IANA could use,
but I suppose codifying it would do more harm than good.

> I do not like Larry Masinter's apparent suggestion
> (perhaps I'm misreading??) that we should break
> the existing rules in RFC 2717, which are that new
> top-level trees (non-IETF) MUST be unique and MUST be
> followed by a hyphen-dash before the remainder of the
> URI scheme name.

I think you were misreading. I don't propose breaking
RFC 2717.

Larry