Re: Are URI-References bound to resources?

This came up at RDF-IG in the plenary meeting...  I asked if RDF resources
can be regarded as identical to Web resources.  The answer then (from Tim,
IIRC) was no, RDF-resources denote a wider set of resources than just
Web-resources, for the reasons you raise.

(This view seems to be reinforced by the other exchanges on this topic.)

I think this is also on the RDF issues list... it's alluded to in:
http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-fragments
(see comment in relationship to terminologicus.)

#g
--

At 01:20 PM 5/11/01 -0500, Aaron Swartz wrote:
>In RDF, I've seen people binding URIs like:
>
>http://example.org/q#foo
>   and
>http://example.org/q#bar
>
>to different resources. The URI spec clearly says:
>
><q cite="http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt">
>    A Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) is a compact string of characters
>    for identifying an abstract or physical resource.
></q>
>
>but later when it defines URI references, it says:
>
><q>
>    The term "URI-reference" is used here to denote the common usage of a
>    resource identifier.  A URI reference may be absolute or relative,
>    and may have additional information attached in the form of a
>    fragment identifier.  However, "the URI" that results from such a
>    reference includes only the absolute URI after the fragment
>    identifier (if any) is removed and after any relative URI is resolved
>    to its absolute form.
></q>
>
>This seems to imply that URI references (that is, URIs with fragment
>identifiers) are not bound to a resource themselves. Instead, the only
>resource involved is that of the absolute URI itself.
>
>Is this interpretation correct? If so, it would have serious consequences
>for many RDF specifications.
>
>--
>Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>|           my.info
>   <http://www.aaronsw.com>   |   <http://my.theinfo.org>
>AIM: JediOfPi | ICQ: 33158237|  the future of news, today

Graham Klyne
GK@NineByNine.org