Re: Are URI-References bound to resources?

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 01:33:46PM +0100, Graham Klyne wrote:
 > This came up at RDF-IG in the plenary meeting...  I asked if RDF resources
 > can be regarded as identical to Web resources.  The answer then (from Tim,
 > IIRC) was no, RDF-resources denote a wider set of resources than just
 > Web-resources, for the reasons you raise.
 >
 > (This view seems to be reinforced by the other exchanges on this topic.)
 >
 > I think this is also on the RDF issues list... it's alluded to in:
 > http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-fragments
 > (see comment in relationship to terminologicus.)

I've seen this occur to many times. It seems that the term 'resource'
is to popular for its own good. My current suggestion for people
who are struggling with this is to define their own term that
is 110% application dependent and then be extremely specfic about
how you can use a URI as a value for that term.

Defining your application to use URIs simply as 2396 specified sans
anything else is to simple. It would be kind of like saying
that LDAP uses OIDs but never specifying how it used them or why.

-MM

----
Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821