Re: References Re: What are the requirements/problems? Re: Working on New Styles for W3C Specifications

--
Marcos Caceres

On Thursday, December 15, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Noah Mendelsohn wrote:

> On 12/15/2011 5:08 AM, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> > I agree. My working assumption is that all specs have bugs, but newer
> > versions fix old bugs but introduce new ones. Over time, updated specs
> > may have less bugs and eventually stabilise.
>

> No, not foreseeable and avoidable ones. In many cases. Let's say that
> specification S(V1) references Unicode(V1). Now unicode is updated. In many
> cases it's crucial that users of S >not< start using that specification
> with Unicode(V2) until the group responsible for S specifies a way of doing
> so that's secure and interoperable. For that reason, it may be appropriate
> for S(V1) to reference specifically Unicode(V1).
>
> I should say I'm also a bit concerned about the tone of this discussion. I
> respect your opinion on these things, Marcos, and it's possible that in
> some of the cases where we disagree experience may prove you right.
> Nonetheless, the tone of this interaction seems to be that you are setting
> out potentially controversial points of view (e.g. of course forward
> references to specs cause bugs...stuff happens), and are essentially
> setting them up as the default position for discussion.

That's not my intention. I don't speak with authority, I'm only one individual and my opinions are just personal opinions - though yes, they are a little impassioned because I've been burnt a few times. Having said that, if I see something silly (e.g., locking XHTML to XML Ed. 4.), of course I'm going to call it out.

> If you are serving
> as de-fact editor for a redesign of W3C specification formats and
> standards, then I think you should solicit opinions on questions like
> biblio conventions in a more neutral way, and where possible, try to go
> with the opinion that either commands consensus, or failing that, best
> matches the full range of current practice. If you have suggestions, that's
> great. Many of the decisions we've been discussing on this thread are
> pretty subtle, involve difficult tradeoffs, and have been the subject of
> long debate by some pretty experienced people for quite awhile. I'd prefer
> we not come at them in a style of: "surely this is the answer, any
> problems?" I'd much rather see a short list of options, with as clear a
> listing as we can get of the pros and cons.

That's fair. I'll try to adapt and be more constructive and neutral.