Re: Using GitHub for specification development

From: Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 14:55:05 -0500
To: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@kellogg-assoc.com>
Cc: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, "spec-prod@w3.org Prod" <spec-prod@w3.org>
On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Gregg Kellogg <gregg@kellogg-assoc.com> wrote:
> We've been using GitHub to generate the JSON-LD specs [1] [2]. It has, indeed, been useful for people to enter comments in-line, and we use the GitHub issue tracker instead of the W3C tracker. What this misses is automatically updating issues based on email threads referencing the issues; but this could probably to added with a fairly simple robot.
>
> Changes are automatically checked out to http://json-ld.org, and commits are broadcast on IRC (#json-ld on irc.freenode.net).

I also mirror the HTML Editing APIs specification to github, in
addition to the primary location on dvcs.w3.org:

https://github.com/ayg/editing

So far I've only gotten one pull request, and in that case I fixed the
problem by rewriting it independently anyway (for stylistic reasons).
If I got a pull request that I actually wanted to accept, I'd make
sure to get the submitter to agree to the CLA first.  This is similar
to how many open-source projects require contributors to make license
agreements.

hg-git has turned out to work just fine.  I develop locally in git,
then use a publish script to convert to hg and push to dvcs.w3.org, as
well as to github.

I've disabled the github issue tracker in favor of the W3C Bugzilla,
since I want all issues in one place, and I'd prefer that that place
be the W3C, and I'm used to Bugzilla.