Re: Using GitHub for specification development

On Nov 9, 2011, at 11:29 AM, Karl Dubost wrote:

> Is there a way in github to associate an ISSUE number with a commit?
> There is no action item too. How did people replace that.

See Github flavored markdown: http://github.github.com/github-flavored-markdown/

You can mark commits and issues within the issue tracker. According to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1687262/link-to-github-issue-number-with-commit-message, you can also do this in commit messages. So, you could do a commit with "Closes #1" and it would link to that issue and close the issue.

Typically, I usually do the commit and then close the issue. In which case, I really should mark add the commit ID to the issue when closing it. Of course, this can be done after the fact.

For action items, we usually note them in the IRC log and then someone manually creates the issue. Better workflow would be to auto-detect ACTION to raise an issue, and detect referenced issues when processing the IRC and add comments to the issue. This could also implement the "Closes #1" type behavior when issues are RESOLVED in IRC.

Gregg