Re: Square-bracket output of Definition in specs is bogus

Aha! :-)  I seem to recall arguing against it while copyediting the
spec, partly because brackets are the wrong signal but mostly because
the inline style encourages bad formal definition-writing.

	Eve

Tim Bray wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2004, at 3:06 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
>> So does any other mark-up, such as boxes or glossaries or sections
>> (as in the IEEE example I sent), but the others leave the in-line text
>> as-is (making just the term bold) so that they do not interfere with
>> the text surrounding the definition -- the definitions are then collected
>> and repeated automatically in a box, glossary, or Definitions section.
>

> Speaking as the <blush> inventor of the current typographical usage, I
> think Roy's right. -Tim

Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Products, Technologies, and Standards    eve.maler @ sun.com