Re: Publishing tool ideas for W3C editors

Ian Jacobs wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm glad to see that there's interest in the project
> described below. I propose the following:
>
> 1) The XML and DOM groups converge on a common DTD for
>    their specs (at least a common core). Eve has said that
>    she has little time at the moment but is interested. Philippe,
>    I propose that you and Eve coordinate on this.

This is already the case. I think there are only a few additions that
have been made for the DOM that have not been sent back to Eve yet. It
should be really easy to get back in sync.

This said, I don't think it's enough. I'm affraid every group uses the
spec.dtd in a different way, and the sources are quite different.
Different processors and/or stylesheets are used and the same markup can
lead to two different things in the generated document and vice versa.
It'd be better if that wasn't the case. Obviously, using the same
stylesheet would help avoiding this, but because the DOM requires a lot
more processing (to generate the IDL, Java, etc...) than most specs
there is little hope we can all use the same tool. So, I wonder what
could be done to try and help everybody to use the DTD the same way.