Re: Publishing tool ideas for W3C editors

From: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 13:04:11 -0500
To: spec-prod@w3.org
At 19:27 2000 07 21 -0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>1) The XML and DOM groups converge on a common DTD for
>   their specs (at least a common core). Eve has said that
>   she has little time at the moment but is interested. Philippe,
>   I propose that you and Eve coordinate on this.
>
>2) Once we have that core format, we figure out how to map
>   xhtml to it with an xslt style sheet.

Can you elaborate on your expected document creation scenario.
I'm still confused as to why we'd want to spend time doing
(2) given (1).  How do you forsee people actually producing
documents?

The way Eve and I and Lauren Wood (DOM) and, I assumed, most
others generate specs to the xmlspec DTD is to author in XML
that conforms to the xmlspec DTD and then run various transformations
to generate the (x)html.  In that scenario, I don't see how an
xhtml DTD to xmlspec DTD transformation has a useful role.

I'm suspecting you have a different scenario in mind, but I'd
like to hear more about it.

paul