Re: Publishing tool ideas for W3C editors

From: Eve L. Maler <Eve.Maler@east.sun.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:57:47 -0400
To: Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@us.ibm.com>
Cc: spec-prod@w3.org, ij@w3.org
[Ian, are you actually on spec-prod?  I wasn't sure, so I copied you.]

At 05:17 PM 7/21/00 -0700, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
>This said, I don't think it's enough. I'm affraid every group uses the
>spec.dtd in a different way, and the sources are quite different.
>Different processors and/or stylesheets are used and the same markup can
>lead to two different things in the generated document and vice versa.
>It'd be better if that wasn't the case. Obviously, using the same
>stylesheet would help avoiding this, but because the DOM requires a lot
>more processing (to generate the IDL, Java, etc...) than most specs
>there is little hope we can all use the same tool. So, I wonder what
>could be done to try and help everybody to use the DTD the same way.

I think an important component of ensuring this whole thing works is to
write up some clear markup/editorial guidelines.  I haven't done this yet
because there has been no "canonical" stylesheet, but I think there may be
quite a few specs using the one I use by now, and that will have increased
their editorial compatibility.  I think it would take one solid day to
figure out the desired guidelines, and then someone (Ian? me?) could write
them up.  It helps that I could easily go into Cambridge for meetings.

         Eve
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center    elm @ east.sun.com