Re: New W3C Web Site Launched

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 15:21:36 -0500
To: "Steven Pemberton" <Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl>
Cc: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>, michael.hausenblas@deri.org, site-comments@w3.org, chairs@w3.org, w3c-ac-forum@w3.org

On 14 Oct 2009, at 2:21 PM, Steven Pemberton wrote:

> Well, to be fair to Raman:
>
>> If we publish the RDF directly (which we do), does that not
>> accomplish the same goal?
>>
>> Here's the RDF:
>>   http://www.w3.org/2002/01/tr-automation/tr.rdf
>>   http://www.w3.org/2000/04/mem-news/public-groups.rdf
>>
>> There's more for the talks, and so on.
>
> If that's the case, then why do we use hcalendar on the home page?
> And why publish the news as HTML *and* RSS? The point that Michael
> and Raman are making is that having the data as RDFa makes the
> homepage itself machine readable, which is usable by browsers (with
> or without plugins) to improve the user experience (for example),
> and I would hope in the long run to render RSS unnecessary.

We have endeavored to provide useful information in a number of
formats, including HTML, atom, rss, ical. As I mentioned, RDF is also
available. The home page could be further scrapable if we add more
data, of course.
But for machine readable, the RDF is available.

I hear people saying "Do more!!!!!"

We'll try to do more as we progress, I assure you.

Kingsley made a point that it's not discoverable; I'll be sure to
remedy it.