Re: New W3C Web Site Launched

From: Steven Pemberton <Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:21:38 +0200
To: "Ian Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>, "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
Cc: michael.hausenblas@deri.org, site-comments@w3.org, chairs@w3.org, w3c-ac-forum@w3.org
Well, to be fair to Raman:

> If we publish the RDF directly (which we do), does that not accomplish
> the same goal?
>
> Here's the RDF:
>    http://www.w3.org/2002/01/tr-automation/tr.rdf
>    http://www.w3.org/2000/04/mem-news/public-groups.rdf
>
> There's more for the talks, and so on.

If that's the case, then why do we use hcalendar on the home page? And why
publish the news as HTML *and* RSS? The point that Michael and Raman are
making is that having the data as RDFa makes the homepage itself machine
readable, which is usable by browsers (with or without plugins) to improve
the user experience (for example), and I would hope in the long run to
render RSS unnecessary.

Best wishes,

Steven