Please stop using accesskeys; they prevent access to browser's facilities and cause bewildering unpredictability

From: Cecil Ward <cecil@cecilward.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 16:48:37 +0100
To: <site-comments@w3.org>

Please stop using accesskey attributes in W3C pages.

For example, the use of accesskey="h" in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator-css/ prevents me from
accessing menus in my web browser Internet Explorer 7 RC1 (same for Internet
Explorer 6 and Firefox 1.5). In that particular case, you are already using
<link rel="help"> which has many advantages and none of the nasty downside.

Superior alternatives - I myself am evaluating the use of <link
rel="bookmark" href="#wherever"> too.

Best,

Cecil Ward. ("cecil@cecilward.com")